13 January 2005

A helpful hand

For those of you who have missed my McD's stories, here are some new ones for you. So, the other day, I was put in the pit, so I'm taking orders and getting money. Well, during lunch "rush," it can get pretty hard to do both, so sometimes they'll send someone back to take orders for you, which they did. The guy of their choice is a really nice guy, but he felt that he needed to help me get money. That consisted of him reaching over to my screen to push the "total" button and then the serve button once they have paid. Now, I am fully capable of pushing both of those buttons on my own, plus, in order to do that, he had to lean way over all up in my business so he could see the screen. Then, when I was given change (note to all McD drive-throughers, please don't give me a fist full of change and drive off, that's no fun for me, and more than one person has given me the wrong change, which makes my drawer short. You can wait the extra 5 seconds it'll take for me to count it.), I laid it all on the counter to count it, and he decided to sort it into piles for me. Oookay. Then when I opened the register, he proceeded to try and help put it all away. Nice gesture, but that really is not a two-person job. I could handle all of this, but the kicker was when he decided to help me SHUT my cash drawer, which resulted in him shutting my fingers IN it...twice. Luckily the rush died down and he was called back up front, leaving me bewildered and asking myself, "did he really just shut my drawer for me?"

I thought that was just a fluke, but yesterday, I was back in pit and another one of my coworkers was sent back to help (different one) and to my amazement, he too decided that I needed to have my drawer shut for me. Since I was now used to this, I knew enough to move my fingers out of the way before the drawer slammed on them.

Helpful McD's tip:
Please specify the type of Happy Meal you would like to give your child. Saying, "yes, I'd like a happy meal and a number 3 please." is not helpful to us.

1 Comments:

Blogger BlackLineFish said...

I wanna hear some kid stories. I let my kids order for themselves, but when they were smaller I never let them torture the person at the register. If they aren't loud enough, I would repeat the orders and not try it again for a few months. I worked the register for Burger King in a suburban mall during Christmas shopping season, and I remember parents trying to get their kids to order with 15 people behind them in line. (Suburban parents are the worst, sorry if this offends anyone. Just ask any nurse who works with their kids.)

I also worked the register in a drugstore, so I guess I have some cashiering experience. One thing I would *never* allow would be letting other people touch my drawer, or the money that goes in my drawer. Honestly, I think you should talk to your manager about that. How can you be held responsible for a short count if you had weird "help" in the form of other hands playing with the money and the register...

I remember when my drawer was short one night. It was short less than $7. The shift manager called me in to "discuss" the situation. He talked about how disturbed he was by this. This one restaurant was grossing $50,000 a day, and he was worried about $7...

I made the manager at Dominoes fire me, because my step-father wouldn't let me quit (it was a second job!). I was never a problem for 6 weeks, and then one night I refused to deliver. I just swept, cleaned, and folded boxes. The manager was freaking out because he couldn't understand my circumstance. (I was getting less than 4 hours of sleep.) The whole situation made me so mad that I cried the whole drive home. I was nineteen.

--gh

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home